WHERE IT ALL BEGAN........
This was posted on my facebook page when I made the big announcement!
I don't usually write such "personal" notes but 2011 was nothing less than amazing and the beginning of 2012 has been just the same. I know it is long and I hope that you are able to take the time to read this note entirely. I found that while I was writing it I wanted to share it with people especially the people who have made such a difference in my life over the last year. If you were named or not named please know that I am forever indebted and thankful for all the support and love you have shown me. So here it goes...it is my life, my heart, my experiences that have all lead me to make one of the biggest decisions of my life.
Beginning 2011 I vowed to myself to make this one of the best years yet. First was BID for Bachelor/Bachelorettes. Although I have done fundraising and serve projects as a teenager and early adulthood I was not prepared for the experience I was in for being a bachelorette. Working diligently on my package for almost 2 months I was able to see the generosity of so many businesses, individuals, friends and family. I was also fortunate enough to meet some amazing people who I have developed meaning friendships with one being Danielle Besteman and Stephanie Maybore. The night of BID was something I will remember forever. Getting dressed up in our fancy dresses, hair, makeup and being auctioned off was so fun! Over $70,000 was raised that night to help friends and families of Cystic Fibrosis. I still get goose bumps when I think about how amazing this night was. After this experience the fundraising bug was biting! I was hooked and I wanted to do more for other organizations etc.
Winter months seemed to drag and drag and I was getting restless. Then I got fabulous news that I was accepted for a job transfer from Ottawa County to Kent County. I was so excited to finally after 9 years of commuting be in Grand Rapids. The transfer came with some challenges but it was the best decision I could have made. I have been blessed to have met and develop friendships with some amazing girls I work with. Being a foster care worker is very difficult and draining work and I have found a support network in these friends be it professional and personal support. Our lunch time "dates" are the best and they calm me down when I am stressed and overwhelmed. I love you girls!
March was here and I was still restless...I received a message from a fellow Blockhead Kristy Williams who stated she and her friend Teri Heidbrick were starting a fundraising event for a cause that Joey McIntyre was involved in. Raising money for Massachusetts Eye and Ear...well of course I had to jump on that but again I had no idea what I was in for. I took on this HUGE event all myself with the help of Kristy and Teri who guided me through the process however with them living in Chicago I was on my own here in GR. I began advertising bracelets, coordinated a dine-to-donate night, creating the actual event that would take place after the NKOTB show on May 26th and began looking for sponsors and donors. It was a hard and difficult process but the generosity of some amazing people made it easier.
Spring finally sprung and before I knew it the NKOTB cruise had arrived!!!! This was one of the best 6 days of my life and I was able to share it with one of my BFF's Kendra Bondie-Leland. The fundraiser was still going strong and I took all the bracelets on the boat and sold them to fellow NKOTB fans before we set sail (mind you there were over 2500 women on this boat). I couldn’t believe the response of these fans. Once we finally got in our room, Kendra and I dumped the gobs of money out on my bed and counted and counted and counted.....I started crying when the total came in...$1200 worth of bracelets was sold in about an hour. The feeling I had is hard to put into words. I was so excited!!! The cruise as I stated before was amazing. I met some amazing girls who I spent those days with (Brook Bandokoudis, Aimee Brennan, Sara Hughes, Sarah Condon, Stacey Tesch, Andrea Krause). Every night a different theme (80's, PJ/Toga, Pink night and Red Carpet) pink night was my favorite. I was able to talk to Joe about the fundraiser and he thanked me for all the work and was impressed with the amount of bracelets that were sold in just an hour. Having fun in VIP was also a perk and I had an unbelievable two nights with Brook Bandokoudis. The memories I made with these girls I will cherish forever! This is a trip I will remember for a lifetime and I am so excited to be going again in June 2012! Kendra...there are just too many words and since you know them already I won’t repeat myself. I love you.
A week after the cruise the NKOTB tour began! The second show of the tour was in Grand Rapids and this also was the night of my fundraiser for Mass Eye and Ear. You can imagine the craziness before and after the cruise. Having to plaster posters all over the area, collect donation gifts, prizes and my television debut on Take Five was a bit stressful but all worth it. I had some amazing people that helped with flyers (Teddy Bodien) the venue at the BOB (Jason Ley), posters etc. Finally May 26 was here! I had 5* for this concert so I saw the guys before the show and had front row to the concert. It was an incredible show and to see it so close was even better! After the concert was the fundraiser at the BOB. We sold raffle tickets and more bracelets before and after the show. I had some awesome volunteers helping me (Kendra Bondie-Leland, Michelle Prangley, Wendy Olson, Kristi Lallo, Lynn Porter, Valerie Chapa, Lisa and Ronald Immormino, Amanda Wagoner)! The fundraiser was a bit chaotic but went over well! People who were not even NKOTB fans were buying tickets and bracelets just to support continued research for those affected by eye and ear problems. After all said and done the Grand Rapids "Let's Get This for Rhys" fundraiser raised close to $2000.00. I was ecstatic and moved by yet again the generosity of businesses, individual and my friends. I couldn’t wait to see the other cities fundraisers and how much money we would raise over the summer for Mass Eye and Ear.
After this concert I was able to relax a bit and enjoy some of summer but then my 32nd birthday weekend came in June. I spent Thursday-Sunday with my NKOTB boys and BH sistas! Detroit show with Brook Bandokudis and Christina Latreille was beyond amazing...that is all I can say and won't expand any further ;) Then the next day it was off to Chicago with Kendra Bondie-Leland for yes two more concerts (the second concert was free thanks to a special band member). Kendra did such a great job helping me celebrate my birthday from the yummy cake, presents and amazing hotel room...I am forever blessed to have her as my friend. I was also able to finally meet Kristy and Teri in person (among other fabulous Blockheads) and attend the Chicago Fundraiser for "Let's Get This for Rhys". It was a weekend that I will remember forever. The "Let's Get This for Rhys" fundraiser is still going on...there are special events being planned to help continue to raise money for Mass Eye and Ear. Get involved!!!!!
June came and went and July showed up in a hurry...which meant yes another concert (this would be my 5th) and this time I was heading to Vegas with Brook and Christina! This was a weekend of pure craziness but in the midst of partying, the sun etc. I met yet again some amazing girls at the NKOTB After Party (Cherry Villanos, Carolyn Cardinuto, Jordana Anderson and Jen Nolan). I had a fabulous night with them at the party and just assumed we would just run into each other again at other shows etc. but I was completely wrong. These girls have become very good friends....a trip to Cleveland with Cherry, a trip to Chicago to attend the Dallas Maverick Championship Party with Jordana, another Chicago trip with Jordana and Jen and NYC with Carolyn, Jen and one of my besties Amanda Potter! I am forever grateful and blessed to have all these beautiful ladies in my life. I am so excited to create so many more memories with you girls. xoxo
August was here already...the end of the tour. The first weekend in August I traveled to Canada (my first time!). It was sad to see the show end. The last show I did yet another 5* with Cherry and 8 other fabulous girls and was able to see the show yes again front row. Yes I went to 7 shows and the cruise! It was amazing and hard to believe the summer was over. I was exposed to a life outside of Grand Rapids and was itching to do something more with my life. Over the last few months I had met some amazing people who have inspired and encouraged me to be more, to accept challenges and to enjoy every minute of my life.
I wanted to stay connect with my BH sistas and became the team captain for Team Betty for the Race for the Cure 5k run that took place in September. My fundraising shoes were back on! A coordinated a dine-to-donate event where friends not even NKOTB fans showed up ate and supported finding a cure for breast cancer. I also sold (and am still selling) bracelets. All money raised is donated to Susan G Komen. I was able to meet and reconnect with BH sistas and even got some of my friends from GR involved in the race! Team Betty's are all over the US and are started by Block Head fans. It is an amazing organization helping to raise money to find a cure for Breast Cancer. Get involved!!!!
I know people make fun of me for loving NKOTB so much however the last year I have met some amazing people who have become more than just NKOTB acquaintances. These people have become lifelong friends. We were brought together by a common love (our boys) and we have built relationship from that. As you can see being part of the Block nation means more than just the guys. It means helping to make a difference through fundraisers (Let's Get This for Rhys, Team Betty) or just becoming friends with people who may be different from your everyday group of friends. I have found support and encouragement from these friends during the times that I needed it and for that I am forever grateful. The summer "tour" has provided me with life long memories, friends and experiences (some which I can't speak of LOL) that I never knew was possible. Thank you BH family! xoxo
Fall set in and so did reality. The fun of the tour, the fundraisers etc. were all over. I began searching for something new but I didn’t know what that was. Was it a move? Was it a new job? I didn’t have a clue but I felt that I was being called to do something greater. As most of you know I have had the desire to move out of state since I was in college and the bug got worse after a summer of traveling. I should have moved out of state before I obtained my LMSW but I didn’t since I was working for the Government (dumb decision on my part). I have been applying for jobs in CA and FL for the past few years and found that my clinical social work license would not transfer from state to state so for me to leave Michigan I would have to start my certification process all over again (a 3 year process). I was discouraged. I WANTED MORE! I love being a Foster Care Worker but after 10 years I feel that I have come as far as I can with this job. I am burned out. I desired for something more and wanted to actually use my Maters Degree. I began applying for random jobs just to get me to either CA or FL or anywhere out of Michigan for that matter and again a dead end. I gave up hope but continued to ask God to lead me in the direction he wanted.
My BFF Kendra sent me a text one day in August about the Air Force looking for Clinical Social Workers. We both emailed a recruiter and waited. I honestly forgot that I had even emailed him. About 4 week later in late September I was having a horrible day at work, money issues etc. and I just lost it. I felt that I had hit rock bottom (which is hard to comprehend after such an amazing summer) but I felt that I was at a dead end with nowhere to turn. I had a severe shoulder injury which was keeping me from my workouts and the pain was ridiculous. After 12 weeks of PT I was finally referred to a surgeon. I was so scared and so upset that this was happening. I was confused as to why God would close doors when I have this heart to want to do more and help people. After I left the gym that night frustrated from a horrible day and workout I received a call from a recruiter from the Air Force who had just got done talking to Kendra. Before I called him back I talked to Kendra. She said "this would be perfect for you." She added that I would have to "enlist" and I said "hell no." She said "just call him and talk to him. I just got off the phone with him and told him this is so you."
With hesitation I called him that night and ended up talking to him for over an hour. He explained to me that with my experience and because I was licensed I would enter the Air Force as an officer. The pay was incredible and I would get a housing allowance among other amazing benefits and perks. I would move out of Michigan and be placed at a base. I would only have to sign for 3 years...if I didn’t like it after 3 years I could leave the Air Force. He encouraged me to talk to a Social Worker currently in the Air Force. Two days later I spoke to a Social Worker in the Air Force. He talked about the job, deployment (yes I would have to deploy) etc. I was intrigued. The clinical experience I would get is something I have desired since I got my MSW! I was terrified about deployment not because of the dangers but because of what living conditions would be like etc. The fact that I would have to shoot a gun and everything else that comes along with being an Officer in the Air Force excited me. I would be able to make a difference while traveling the world! I also spoke to another Social Worker Erika who actually took time out and called me from Germany. She answered a lot of my questions and made me feel a whole lot more comfortable...thanks Erika!
So I began the process. I only told a few people about this in the beginning not even my family. Sara Anderson, Amanda Potter, Rachel VanHorn, Meghann Murphy, Kathy Bremer and my work girls....you have no idea how much I appreciate your support during this process. I was afraid all of you would have thought I was "nuts" to want to do this but you all have been so excited for me and have encouraged me through this entire process. Kendra...girl what can I say. I met you 10 years ago at DHS and because of our love for NKOTB you have become one of my best friends. You brought this job to me and I am forever grateful but more than that I am thankful for your friendship. EACH of you have been there for me year after year. You all have forgiven me when I needed it and you have all taught me to be a better person. I admire each and every one of you and I thank you for being my friend.
So back to the Air Force. I met with my recruiter for lunch in late October to begin the application process. Once I completed my application I had to talk to my family. I was more terrified of how they would all react and kept putting it off but I knew that if I was going to do this I needed all of their support even my parents. I talked to both my brother and sister and my brother-in-law and sister-on-law. They were excited and said that I should go for it and I was humbled. Then the meeting with my parents. As most of you know I haven’t had a relationship with them for the past 2 years but with God's healing hands I have begun the baby steps of having a distant relationship with them but as I stated before making this decision was not going to be easy if I didn’t have my parents support. I met with them on a Sunday and of course my mom cried and they both asked a lot of questions...and then they gave me their blessing. This was a huge weight that was lifted!
In the midst of all this I launched my own private practice. It was career goal of mine and I thought if the Air Force didn't pan out I would have my private practice to work at part time (along with my full time job). I was excited and proud of this accomplishment! The practice is still up and running...hint hint :). Send me your friends, family, co-workers, yourself LOL (did you like that advertisement lol).
Ok more Air Force....the next hurdle was my physical which took place on November 4, 2011. What an experience that was...I was stressed because of my height and weight and just the overall process. My friends and family were awesome and supported me so much the week and day of my physical. After a 5 hour process I passed! I was so excited and it was then that I realized that this was an actual reality. At this time next year I could be gone...this could be my last fall in Grand Rapids. The last time I would see my nephew play football for a few years etc. I struggled with the fact that I would also no longer be working with kids but adults instead. Feelings of fear and confusion set in. Even with these feelings I felt that I was still being called to this mission. I felt that God was saying "Megan it is time to simplify your life and move on."
Also during all this process I was blessed with my 5th nephew! Truman Erik Cornell came into this world on October 24. I am now the proud aunt to Nolte (15), Avery (4), Dashiell (3 1/2), Whitaker (2), Sullivan (1) and Truman...yup that's 5 boys and a girl! The thought of leaving all of them makes me sad but knowing that I am helping people who have given up their homes and families to protect this country makes it a bit easier to move across the country.
In November I also applied for a job at the VA in Grand Rapids (Veteran Affairs). I didn’t think I was qualified but my friend Kendra encouraged me to apply as this is where she is currently working. I sent in my application in and honestly didn’t think about it again.
My first Air Force base visit was on November 28 to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton Ohio. It was a long day but it was my first chance to actually see a base and get a feel for what I would be doing. I met with a bunch of Social Workers who took time to answer all my questions and talk about their experiences. I was excited and intrigued. While I was at the Air Force base I got a call for a second interview at the VA which totally took me for a loop. I began to feel the anxiety set it. The whole car ride home my mind was racing...why would God put this option in front of me and why did the call come on all days when I was at the AF base...did he not want me to join the Air Force...what is he doing with my life??? I called my mom on the drive home and cried. It was like all the anxiety, stress and unknown set in and I lost it. I was overwhelmed. She prayed with me over the phone for direction and guidance.
December 1, 2011 I had my second interview at the VA. The interview went well. My salary I would receive would be about $5.00 more an hour that I was making at DHS. I about fell out of my chair. The negative I would not be doing therapy with clients and I would still be stuck in Grand Rapids. I left that interview more confused as ever. Seriously God has the best sense of humor ever... as I got into my car again I prayed for direction.
December 2-7th...hold on to you seats friends. I left Grand Rapids and traveled to Miami FL. Then I stepped on the Norwegian Epic Cruise ship to film a REALITY SHOW for Lifetime. SURPRISE! I have to keep this hush hush and I can't go into details but as I am writing about the last year I had to include it in this "note". It was such an amazing experience and I met some awesome peeps. I can't wait for you all to see it! Hoping I don't embarrass myself too much on national TV! Look for me this spring on Lifetime :) and yes I will post the airing date so you all can make sure to tune in!
Ok so I returned from the show on December 7th and on December 8th I received a call from the VA. They offered me the position! I couldn't believe it. Anxiety again set in. Of course I accepted the job. I couldn’t turn down that salary and I didn’t know if I would be getting the Air Force job or not. I wasn’t 100% excited about what I would be doing for the VA but these federal jobs are very difficult to get especially in Grand Rapids so I had to say yes. On December 10th I went into the hospital (my first ever hospital stay as an adult) for a viral infection. The stress and anxiety of the last two months finally caught up to me and knocked me straight on my butt. December 16th I submitted my resignation from DHS after being a foster care worker for 10 years. It was hard but I had been searching for so long for something more that the letter was easier to write than what I thought it would be. December 19th I got into a car accident. December 20th I submitted all my documents and my application to the Air Force. Um can you say the month of December was a little NUTS! Turning in my application was a huge weight lifted as it took over 2 months to complete all the requirements. Then the waiting began.
Seriously...from the months of September -December I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown. I was under so much stress and having to make such huge decisions that I thought at any moment I would lose it. At the same time I was in disbelief that all these amazing things were happening to me. I have been in such a rut for the past 3 years personally and professionally that I kept saying to my close friends that I was afraid God was going to wake me up. How am I so deserving of this amazing year....and now the TV show and these two amazing job prospects. I am completely humbled by God's grace in my life.
While waiting for an answer from the Air Force I was given the opportunity by the Air Force to visit the Randolph base in San Antonio for three days. Only a select number of Health Professionals were selected and I was one of them! On January 17th 2012 I traveled to San Antonio. My first ever trip to Texas! I didn't know what to except with the trip but it was so much fun! I was able to be on base for 3 days and saw a lot of amazing things. I felt comfortable and accepted. I also met some fabulous peeps....Roger Bermea, Maggie Silva and Tom Fenyoe (oops maybe I should be saying Major, Captain and Chief but dont hate I havent taken my oath yet LOL)....thank you for everything...I am forever grateful for all your help and encouragement! I flew home with such excitement and with even more desire I had before to join the AF!
I had shoulder surgery on January 25th and I started the VA on January 30th...not much time to heal but the transition went smoothly. People have asked why I took the VA job if I was looking into the AF...well I took the VA job becasue I had not been offered the AF job at that time. I didnt want to turn down the VA and be stuck at DHS longe if I didnt get the AF job. I also felt that by joining the VA it would give me some extra time to learn more about the military. It was a hard decision but something I felt called to do.
I got my offical call on 02/01/2012 and my recruiter told me that I was selected and that I would be based in California at Travis AFB! I am so excited! I have wanted to live in California for years and have wanted to focus my skills soley on therapy and I am finally able to live out both dreams. I am so blessed. I will be leaving for Officer Training at the beginning of July for 5 weeks then heading to California :)
It is so crazy how life turns out sometimes....the last 5 months or I guess I should say year has been nothing but spectacular. It is hard to write into words how I truely feel but most of you who know me can probably only imagine my excitement.
To my friends and family who knew about all of this..thank you for you support and encouragement. Thank you for believing in me when I doubted myself. Thank you for supporting this dream and this giant life change. It wont be easy leaving and I am sure there will be times when I ask myself "what the hell did I do" but I know you will all be there to bring me back to reality. I am forever grateful for you all. Get ready for some MASSIVE going away parties come summer LOL!
As I end this "note" I do so with excitement and anxiety. I am excited to begin this amazing new chapter in my life but anxious about it at the same time. I am forever grateful for the amazing opportunities God has blessed me with over the years and more importantly the last 5 months. I am so blessed to have the opportunity to serve my country and to help the men and women who have done the same.
Love to you all!!!
Megan
No comments:
Post a Comment