Sunday, May 6, 2012

UNIFORM CrAzInEsS!!!!


Sorry I haven't posted in awhile...things have been busier than ever.  I am trying to spend as much time as possible with friends and family, maintaining my workouts (strengthening my shoulder)packing for my cruise and more importantly the time it is taking to prepare for my officer training and this big move.  6.5 weeks to go!
On Wednesday May 2, 2012 I drove with my recruiter to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base to purchase my uniforms.  Craziness is not even the word to describe the day.  I left my house at 5am and we arrive at base around 11am only to find that the base was on lock down. We waited an hour and the gates re-opened and we began what I thought would be a quick trip. We were hoping to be back in Detroit by 5pm so I could drop off my uniforms at Selfridge Air National Guard Base for alterations.  So we were rushing! 
What no one told me was the size difference in military uniforms.  I think I tried on 10 different size pants, skirts and shirts until I finally found a size that worked for me.  It didn't help having a male recruiter with me LOL as he had no idea how things were suppose to fit for a female.  Needless to say the pants for both uniforms are super baggy and I have to have lots of alterations done. 
Before I knew it 3 hours had passed.  I was able to get almost everything except for my boots, shoes and a few other items.  We obviously didn't make it back to Detroit in time.  I drove 10 hours that day to Detroit, Ohio, back to Detroit then home. 
Then on Saturday May 5, 2012 I drove back to Detroit and dropped my uniforms off at Selfridge.  I had never been to that base before.  It was fun to drive around see the planes and to talk to both active duty and veterans.  I have two more trips to make to Selfridge to drop more clothes off for alterations but I will be ready to come come July!  Due to the amount of officers that will be at training in July I was advised to have all my uniforms ready to go when I arrive.  With the craziness of the last 5 days purchasing, ordering more stuff online and alterations I would be a complete stress ball if I had to do all of this when I arrived at Maxwell AFB. 
While on my trip to Wright-Patt on Wednesday my recruiter gave some self reports from other officers who had completed Officer Training.  The 4 weeks that I will be there will be like being back in school all over again.  Lots of classroom time, homework, presentations and of course physical activity.  I will have very limited amount of time to talk to family and friends as my free time will be used to prepare for the next day, study etc.  I am so nervous about this training so please send some prayers my way!!!!
I felt so rushed and overwhelmed this last week that I didn't have time to "take it all in" so writing this blog entry helps a bit. This whole process has been such a stressful yet rewarding experience.  I don't think it has truly hit me yet that I am leaving and beginning this whole new life.  I have met some amazing and helpful people along the way and for this I am forever grateful. 
I will post pictures of my entire uniform with all the pins, tags etc once I pick them up from the alterations but for now here is the one picture I have :)

No comments:

Post a Comment